Friday, February 17, 2017

A Story Of Encouragement

Hey all!

     I hope you've been having a good week! I've had so much homework lately that I haven't had much downtime. As stressed and busy as I've been, something exciting happened at work the other day.
     While I was attending the IF Conference a few weekends ago they challenged us to write down the name of someone we were going to mentor. I'd written a name down, and I'd been inviting her back to church etc. but I wasn't getting any sort of response. Then this new girl showed up to work and I was the only one allowed to train her (I was already super excited that I was requested.)
     As I got to know this girl better I learned she was a very open person, and not in a bad way. She ended up asking me what church I go to, after I mentioned I had to leave early for my Bible Study. When she asked me what my past times were part of my answer was playing music at church and in general. We talked a little bit about her history of attending church, and she said she didn't go regularly because her dad was normally busy or didn't want to go.
     I'd been praying for an opportunity to invest in someone, and God began to tug on my heart during this ordinary work shift with the new girl.
     I ended up telling this girl that if she ever wanted to come to church with me I'd love to have her come with me! She looked at me and was actually excited and said "I'd love that!" I got this burst of happiness and told her that I could pick her up Sunday morning, and if she wanted to she could even stay for Sunday School and I'd introduce her to my youth pastor if she wanted to start coming to youth group! She was really happy about this and actually reminded me herself before I left to text her later with the details for picking her up etc.
-
-
     I'd been working hard to make things work with this other friend of mine, and I was getting discouraged that she wasn't coming to church again. Even though God calls us to be a witness to everyone, He doesn't call us to bring everyone back to Him. We are to shine His light, and show His love.
     I was getting so caught up in needing to be the one who helped this one friend return to the church, that I almost missed this opportunity to help a new friend find God for the FIRST time. I'm excited for Sunday, and I'm excited to bring my new friend to church with me.
-
-
     One of the things we learned at the IF Conference was that after we surrender obedience to God He gives us the courage. Once I was obedient to God telling me to step out in faith He gave me the courage to go through with it and invite this new girl to church with me.
     While I'm a little nervous about how it will go, I'm confident that God is in control of this situation.
     I'd appreciate prayers for this young girl that the Holy Spirit would speak to her during the message and the worship. I'll be praying that I'm able to show her with a real friendship can be like; she hasn't had the best experiences since she moved here a year ago.
-
-
     After this whole deal I've got more confidence to reach out to others about my faith.
     The other day I was sitting outside of my class, waiting for the professor to open the door, and some guy next to me asked me about my purity ring, believing I was married. First, I had an inner chuckle to the fact I looked old enough to be married. Ha! Second, no one has ever said anything about it before so that was unexpected!
     When I told him it was a purity ring he thought I said promise ring. When I corrected him he had no idea what that was. So I told him that my purity ring was a personal symbol for myself that I wouldn't be crossing certain lines before I got married. He wasn't quite sure how to respond, and the situation was a little awkward.
     Meeting this new girl at work changed my entire perspective on things. When I was trying really hard to change someone, nothing happened. When I gave everything to God, everything worked out. Who knew?
-
-
     I hope this story encourages you to continue to live out your faith. Don't try so hard to change someone's life- try hard to live your life the way Jesus would've lived. I can assure you, someone will notice you're different. This girl did :)

"The one who gets wisdom loves life; the one who cherishes understanding will soon prosper."
-Proverbs 19:8

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith over Fear

Hey all! Welcome back to my blog. It's been a few months, but I've had multiple people encourage me to write a blog post about wha...