Monday, February 13, 2017

My Sister Bought Me A Dozen Roses

Hey all! Welcome back to my blog.

     With Valentine's Day fast approaching I've been praying for strength and contentment in this season of singleness. Being single can already be a tough place to be, and this holiday doesn't help with that difficulty. Valentine's Day doesn't need to be a bad day for those of us who are single. God has someone so special picked out for us that we probably couldn't even handle it right now. Just wait- He'll show up at the perfect time when we're ready. In the mean time, remember the One who loves you more than anyone else ever will!
-
-
     One of my guy friends says he doesn't like Valentine's Day because you should be loving others every day of the year, not just on February 14. Some of my other friends could care less. One of my girl friend's doesn't even understand why this is a holiday.
     Then there's me.
     I love Valentine's Day. I love how there is a day devoted to showing love and affection, gift giving (if you so choose) and spending time with the people who make you happiest.
-
-
     This holiday brings up some painful memories for me. It was a year ago tomorrow when most of my pain began. It was a year ago that my best friend pointed out my depression to me. It was a year ago that I was trying so hard to be joyful, but the smile was so fake I could barely stop crying. That was the day my best friend told me we needed to take some space from each other. It was painful, but was it a good idea? Most definitely.
     One of the things I am most thankful for this year is friends who stood by me in everything, and a God who has shown me how He shaped me through all the twists and turns of 2016.
     I may not have a boyfriend this year, but I have a God who loves me infinitely more than any man could.
     I spent some time thinking this morning about how far I've come in a year. Last year was absolutely crazy, guys, but it was necessary for my spiritual walk. I'm trying not to overthink about tomorrow, and I'm trying to focus on what I do have versus what I don't. Remembering that waiting for the right guy is better than settling for the wrong guy is tough- But it is so important.
-
-
     My little sister and I wanted to do something cute for Valentine's Day, so we decided rather than being sad we wouldn't be receiving any flowers from boys this year, we'd give each other a bouquet of flowers instead!
     She just got home a little while ago with a dozen roses, all arranged nicely in a glass vase that she filled up herself once she got back. They're some of the prettiest roses I've ever gotten. They smell even better!! I can't wait to go to town and buy her her own bouquet of flowers once I get off work.
-
-
     This was something different we wanted to do to remind ourself that the only love out there isn't from boys. I need to remember to love my sister just as much as I'd love having someone special to spend Valentine's Day with. My sister drives me absolutely crazy, and there's some days we do actually pull each other's hair and scream. . . But then there's the days we cry over something cute we saw, laugh so hard we can barely get up, and hug so hard we can't let go. She's my goofball of a sister who I can count on when life gets the better of me.
-
-
     While my Valentine's Day may be spent differently than normal, and I'll be seeing multiple pictures of the gifts everyone else received. . . I'll be smiling at my own dozen roses than my little sister bought for me thinking "I bet no one else got roses from their sister. Ha!"
     My day won't be a usual one, but we'll be making it special in our own way. I'll post a picture of both of us with our flowers tomorrow morning, but until then I'll be thankful for what I do have versus what I don't.
-
-
     For those of you who are single, take the time tomorrow to embrace the freedom you have right now. Don't be sad you're single, be happy for those who have found God's match for them! Remember, good things come to those who wait. Tomorrow will be kind of tough for me too, but I'd rather spend Valentine's Day happy to be where I am than stressed about being with the wrong person. Don't allow your situation to define how you feel. If you want tomorrow to be a joy-filled, special day than for goodness sakes- make tomorrow a joy-filled, special day! You're in charge of your happiness. . .
     I pray that we don't degrade ourselves tomorrow, but that we embrace who we are. A wise friend once told me, (and I have a shirt that agrees) happiest girls are the prettiest. We don't need a boyfriend for us to experience true joy; that kind of joy only comes from the Father. Let your smile be so genuine and true tomorrow that people think "wow, something is different about her." Use this place you're in right now to shine your light and be a witness to those around you hurting.
-
-
     Have a great Valentine's Day, everyone! Enjoy the sunshine and treat yourself to something you love!

"Above all else, guard you heart, for everything you do flows from it."
-Proverbs 4:23

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith over Fear

Hey all! Welcome back to my blog. It's been a few months, but I've had multiple people encourage me to write a blog post about wha...