Monday, January 16, 2017

Living (Loving) Like Christ- Prepare To Be Convicted

Hey all! Welcome back to my blog.

Here is a verse I would like to share with you that ties in with this post:

Ephesians 4:31-31
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."
-
-
     Oftentimes I see people I know getting frustrated because other people don't seem to be treating them kindly. My response to this is almost always the same: have you been treating those people kindly either? I see this a lot with my younger siblings, brother and sister.
     Something to point out is the verse on treating those around us with the kindness we want to be treated with. You may have heard it before:
Luke 6:31
"Do to others as you would have them to do you."
     This does not mean that we should love those around us only so they treat us nicely. That is a problem so many of us face today. We are only willing to do something if there is a reward in it for us.
     We as Christians are to share the love of Christ to everyone we meet. The Bible tells us that "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35.
     According to the "ever truthful internet", love is an intense feeling of deep affection, a person or thing that one loves, and the list goes on and on. . .
     According to the Word of God, love is giving up what we love for the good of others. John 3:16 tells us that
"God so loved the world, that He sent His one and only son, the whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."
     God loved us so much that He sent His one and only son to earth as an infant, to die on a cross a brutal death, so that we could spend eternity in Heaven with Him. He saved us from the bondage of sin and the inevitable eternity we were deserving to spend in Hell.
     God's Word also tells us that "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8.
     I feel it's important to note that Christ did not die for us when we all surrendered to Him, followed Him completely, worshipped him, and stopped doing horrible things. No, Christ died for us when we did nothing but ignore and distain Him. He didn't say to Himself, "Oh hey! My children have been doing so good lately, they deserve to spend eternity in Heaven. I guess I'll give up my life for them."
     We were enslaved to the bondage of sin. No one was more deserving to spend eternity in Hell than each of us, but in the midst of the chaos and our reckless behavior, and even our denying of Christ:
Luke 22:34 "Jesus answered, 'I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.'"
     This occurred right before Jesus was crucified. Of all the things Peter could've displayed before the death of Christ, he denied His master. This is how deserving we were of death.
     Christ loved us so much that He died on a rugged cross, taking our place as the sacrifice for our sins. That is love.
     There was nothing in it for Him, giving us the opportunity to spend eternity in paradise, if we so chose to follow Him, and the ultimate example of love.
     Loving our neighbors and friends is not only being kind when you see fit. It isn't only giving your hungry friend a single french fry because you're hungry too and they can get their own snack. And love isn't being kind to your sibling just so they'll drive you to town. . .
     Loving our neighbors and friends is noticing someone in need and helping them when they cannot help you. It's wanting to make someone smile just to make their day brighter. And it's being kind to others just because that is the way Christ would treat them, and being a a witness in that way is one of the greatest. Show the love of Christ by loving others like Christ.
-
-
     If I were to have you remember one thing from this post it would be this: If you love someone so much, why would you never share the Word of God with them, giving them the opportunity to experience unconditional love and eternity in paradise with God. . .?
-
-
     I hope this post hits home for some of you today. I know I am personally convicted myself, as I do not find myself reaching out as often as I should. That last question is one I think about all the time.
     I've heard of instances before where a man was witnessing out on the streets, and it wasn't the message that was being told that convicted so many nonbelievers. . . It was the fact that someone loved them enough to share that Good News with them when they could've been in their homes "safe" from the cold or comfortable on their sofa.
     You never know when someone's last breath will be. Seize the time you have with them to help them secure eternity with the Creator.
     The next time you feel bitter or angry about the way people are treating you, shake it off and go love on them.

"Show us your unfailing love, Lord, and grant us your salvation."
-Psalm 85:7

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith over Fear

Hey all! Welcome back to my blog. It's been a few months, but I've had multiple people encourage me to write a blog post about wha...